Why is MySQL nearly twice as fast on Linux?

Thomas Hurst tom.hurst at clara.net
Sun May 23 17:35:59 PDT 2004

* David Xu (davidxu at freebsd.org) wrote:

> Note that default mysql table type is mysql, which uses Giant Lock when
> doing update on table, it does not support concurrent update, each thread
> wants to update the table will be serialized, fix me if I am wrong, but some
> years ago, mysql book tells me the fact, you might need to look other types,
> for example, BDB or innodb. 50% cpu usage on SMP machine is normal for
> MySQL server using mysql table type.

Only if you're only using one table.  While this is true in this
benchmark, it isn't really relevent because we're only testing selects,
which are pure reads.  There should be no table locking getting in the
way; Linux's performance would seem to confirm this.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst  -  freaky at aagh.net  -  http://www.aagh.net/