Why is MySQL nearly twice as fast on Linux?

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Sun May 23 12:15:02 PDT 2004

JG wrote:

> I'm just getting frustrated here having to go from list to list and
> repeat everything that has already been posted each time as
> each group wants to push the problem on another group...
> starting to remind me of the Healthcare system, but none of us
> can fix that problem :P

The worst thing is, this is not a new problem - various users have
reported performance troubles with libpthread and/or mysql, including at
this thread in freebsd-current:

From: Alex.Kovalenko at verizon.net (Alexandre Sunny Kovalenko)
Subject: Is it possible to make -lpthread program to use 100% CPU?
Date: 29 Apr 2004 15:13:55 GMT

It appears similar to your problems:
quote:
"I have turned off hyperthreading and got result, which muddles me
rather -- try
as I might, with -lpthread I could not get past 50% CPU utilization (as
reported by 'top') and  number of computations per second matching that
(number is very close to that  for running single-threaded). Top report
with thread view enabled
shows that both KSE are bound to CPU 0 (if I am interpreting C column
properly). "

His application is custom, doing "heavy duty computation on relatively
small amount of data".

--
C isn't that hard: void (*(*f[])())() defines f as an array of
unspecified size, of pointers to functions that return pointers to