Why is MySQL nearly twice as fast on Linux?

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Sun May 23 10:47:13 PDT 2004

JG wrote:

> You mean where I have the 3 instances of mysqld running in top?  You
> have ~30 instances?

I´m running the supersmack with $1=30.

> Why would your box use more? Is there any configuration or flag in
> mysql that would cause this?

MySQL creates a thread per client.

> How was your mysql compiled? What version of FreeBSD are you running?

This is on -CURRENT from a few weeks ago. Cannot remember if I used
optimized compilation.

> I know that this FreeBSD/AMD64 reports that it is using ACPI... how do
> I find out if its using timecounters, or using them properly?

kern.timecounter.hardware: ACPI-fast

But I'm suspecting that the system call overhead between Linux and
freebsd differs enough to cause the results. If anything can be done
about it, I don´t know.

Pete