Why is MySQL nearly twice as fast on Linux?

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Sun May 23 10:10:11 PDT 2004

JG wrote:

> I am just a layman here, but what does this mean?

You seem to have a very small number of active threads. When I tried
supersmack on fairly old machine (800MHz dual pentium) I get ~30 active
mysql threads using CPU between 1.5% and 3.5%.

I would suspect the test is limited by context switch and syscall
overhead. With the old machine I see >70000 syscalls and >20000 context
switches a second. So I suspect FreeBSD syscall overhead compared to
linux must be higher. Mysql also asks for time repeatedly so make sure
you are running ACPI timecounters. (don´t know if they are available on
AMD64).

With the old machine I got 1360 qps for the select test. (although it´s
not idle, but doing light other work)

Pete