A way to build and install libpthread as 1:1 as well as M:N?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jul 17 22:40:58 PDT 2004

I'm doing some stability and performance testing as part of the network
stack locking work.  I'd like a way to easily plug and play the
configuration of libpthread at run-time (although restarting apps is fine,
rebooting is less preferable, as is actually rebuilding!).  It looks like
right now if I want to switch the operating mode of libpthread to 1:1, I
have to recompile it with different compile options and have a separate
library floating around that I plug.  Could we arrange for it to be a
runtime switch of some sort (perhaps read once when the app starts), or
build the library both ways by default and intall with different names?

robert at fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research