Activating idle threads.

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Tue Jul 6 11:19:37 PDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Julian Elischer writes:
>  >
>  > Drew, what happens to the 47uSec if you do:
>  > sysctl machdep.cpu_idle_hlt=0
>  >

> The gap between libthr and libpthread remains constant, but
> both get at 10us speedup.

ok, then I had a patch for 4.x
that could help if updated to -current.

 http://www.freebsd.org/~julian/it.diff

the idea is that when we schedule a process, we kick an idle cpu if
there is one. That makes it take on the newly runnable thread instead
of waiting until the next interrupt or tick.

I think that jhb is probably the person to actually
bring this concept up-to-date as he has his fingers in there at the
moment.. I'll cc him..

julian