"maxthr" state

Alex Boisvert boisvert at intalio.com
Fri Jan 23 08:52:39 PST 2004

Hi,

What does the following "maxthr" state mean?  (output from top)

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
  854 boisvert  20    0   432M 36936K maxthr 1   0:06  0.00%  0.00% java

Does it mean I'm running into a maximum number of thread limit?  If so,
how I can increase the number of threads?

My application uses a large number of threads and just goes to sleep at
some point.  I can provide more details or debug output if necessary.

TIA,
alex