Release criteria for libkse -> libpthread switch?

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Tue Jan 6 23:04:43 PST 2004

Hi,

I asked this question to re@, but didn't get a clear answer.

What is are the release criteria for switching libkse to libpthread?
I assume that this is going to be targeted for 5.3, and not 5.2.

Dan Eischen has been periodically testing with ACE, which works quite well
with libkse.  Are there other representative multithreaded applications
which need to be tested?  If so, which ones?

re@ has mentioned that there are problems with ports and
PTHREAD_CFLAGS and PTHREAD_LIBS which currently prevent
switching libkse to libpthread.  How many ports need to
be fixed?  Does every single port need to be fixed before the switch is made?
If not, how many ports can be fixed to have an acceptable state of
affairs for the switch?

I am very eager to have a more robust pthreads implementation
for FreeBSD, so that I can use FreeBSD as a drop-in replacement
for Linux for several projects that I work on.

I think we are pretty close...

Thanks.
--
Craig Rodrigues