Question about threads [beaver challenge]

Kris Gale kris-fbsd at asn.net
Tue Feb 10 13:49:26 PST 2004

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:54:21AM -0700, Kris Gale wrote:
>> > 1a) Is it stable to use KSE with mySQL?
>>
>> Not in my experience.
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-threads/2004-February/001568.html
>
> How did you compile and configure MySQL with KSE?
>
> Did you build it from ports?  If so, what version?
> What configuration did you use?

MySQL 4.0.17 from ports.  KSE entries in libmap.conf.

I tried it with and without BUILD_OPTIMIZED.  I did not BUILD_STATIC,
as I normally do.  The DB_DIR was reconfigured.

> How big were the tables that you used?

The database powers a complicated web application.  There are about
150 tables.  Some have a few rows, some have hundreds of thousands
of rows.

> How many queries did you hit the database with?

---[ From previous thread]---
The first time I tried it, we were maintaining a load of about 600
threads and 300 queries/second and lasted about three hours
before the thread count went through the roof and MySQL became
unresponsive.

The second time, we were sustaining a load of 1300 threads and
600 queries/second.  This only lasted about 30 minutes.
------

I wasn't able to see the total number of queries because the
database became unresponsive, but a quick estimate using the
query rates and uptimes above would be several million.

300 qps * 60 seconds * 60 minutes * 3 hours = 3.24 million
600 qps * 60 seconds * 30 minutes = 1.08 million

Kris