bin/31661: pthread_kill signal handler doesn't get sigcontext or ucontext

John Polstra jdp at polstra.com
Sun Feb 8 09:56:33 PST 2004

On 06-Feb-2004 Daniel Eischen wrote:

> Well, we are implementing POSIX API's so if there is an existing
> standard for pthread_get_suspended_thread_context(), we'll add it.

Thanks -- that's perfectly reasonable.  I don't think there's
anything standard, though -- this is all outside of what POSIX has
standardized.

> Or if there is some de-facto standard that other vendors seem to be
> implementing we can do that.  I've even made the offer to the -java
> folks to add whatever they need to get the JDK to work, and so far
> all they really needed was suspend/resume and a way to get thread
> attributes (stack).

That's more than generous.  I've thought about what Modula-3 would
need.  It's essentially just like getcontext() but targeted at a
different thread.  The target thread would always be suspended, and
that could be a requirement.  If I get around to porting the M3
threads to using native FreeBSD threads before M3 becomes totally
irrelevant, I'll be happy to do the kernel portion of this work.  I
just hope we're not supporting another half-dozen architectures by that
time. :-}

John