sharing mutexes

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Mon Aug 30 00:48:12 PDT 2004

Brooks Davis wrote:

>That depends on what you mean.  You can use sysv semaphores between
>processes, but their API is problematic in some applications.
>
>Could you explain what you want to do in more detail?

I have multiple processes running threaded applications which would like
to do 64bit wide atomic arithmetic, which if I understand correctly can
only be achieved either via IPC (having a master process to do all the
stuff) or sharing a mutex somehow. And as far as I understand, mutexes
are process-local by default.

Pete