Siege segfaulting

Ivan Voras ivoras at geri.cc.fer.hr
Sun Apr 18 09:10:59 PDT 2004

Hi!

I was asked to send details about a problem I found with siege on
5.2-current. Here is my original post from current at freebsd.org:

There are problems (segfault) running siege (web benchmark program) on a
recent FreeBSD 5.2-current (a few days ago). When I switch it to libc_r
via libmap.conf, everything works ok. Since the software is ported to a
large number of platforms and works ok, it's likely a libpthread bug

Siege uses threading to make simultaneous HTTP requests. I tried with a
recent release (2.59) and beta (2.60) version if siege, with same behaviour.

This does not happend with small number of threads (2-3), but if I
specify a larger number (usually 8+), it crashes in the middle of work.

In the faulting instances, siege was started as:
siege -c20 -v -f list -t5m -d1

Thats: 20 threads, verbose output (writes status of each request to the
console), "list" is the file that contains URLs, 5m is the duration of
the test, d1 stands for: insert a random delay between 0 and 1 seconds
before each request. The web application tested is made in PHP and
requests take from about 0.02sec to 1.5sec to serve.

Changing the duration (-t), random delay (-d) did not have any effect.

Kernel is "mostly" GENERIC, with support for older processors, ipv6 and
unneeded drivers removed (as well as witness and other debugging
options), and with ULE scheduler.

--
C isn't that hard: void (*(*f[])())() defines f as an array of
unspecified size, of pointers to functions that return pointers to