Removing -pthread from gcc

Loren James Rittle rittle at latour.rsch.comm.mot.com
Mon Sep 8 17:45:19 PDT 2003

In article <20030906000902.GA25237 at freebsd1.cimlogic.com.au>,
John Birrell<jb at cimlogic.com.au> writes:

> If -pthread is intended as a standard FSF gcc option, then it should be mapped
> to a NOOP for FreeBSD IMO.
[...]
> So a NOOP is best. Change gcc in the FSF sources when appropriate, but let
> -current have the change now.

Ah, I could fully support this esp. if it allowed us to build shared
libraries in ports on FreeBSD which defer selection of the thread
library until run-time link and/or the final application link.  I know
this works fine with one-off tweaking of a shared library's code base.
I don't know if it is possible to do without per-library code changes.

In the alternative (if cleaner from ELF perspective), could we make
plain -pthread always link weak against the prototype API for POSIX
threads.  Then people just pre-load (aka set LD_PRELOAD , see rtld(1))
the thread library they actually want for the run-time link.  People
could also add -lkse, etc to early bind a concrete implementation of
the thread library or for static link situations.

Thank you guys for rethinking a bit.  As a side bonus, this would be a
nice win over having to (re-)build the entire ports in lock-step just
to test for best performing thread library.

Regards,
Loren