Scheduler Activations on Linux

Daniel Eischen eischen at vigrid.com
Sun Nov 9 09:31:32 PST 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I was navigating and I found that some Linux guys discovered that they want
> (but haven't yet implemented) Scheduler Activations:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/drepper/glibcthreads.html

This was their original design intent, but the changes to the Linux
kernel necessary to support this were not deemed acceptable.  There's
more info on their current implementation at:

  http://people.redhat.com/drepper/nptl-design.pdf

nptl is a 1:1 implementation with most of the work performed by the
kernel.

> It's nice to see that thanks to heroic efforts of the KSE guys we are so far
> ahead!
>
> It might be interesting to run the posix test suite with our current threads:
>
> http://posixtest.sourceforge.net/

Someone make a port!