FreeBSD 5.1-p10 reproducible crash with Apache2

"Branko F. Grac(nar" bfg at noviforum.si
Thu Nov 6 05:30:09 PST 2003

| Please tell us your Apache configuration, are you using
| prefork or worker or perchild mode ?
| If you are using worker mode,  which thread library are you
| using ? this would help us to narrow down problem scope.

I'm using prefork mpm. worker mpm doesn't even work with under SSL
(httpd accepts connection but never answers).

Apache config (without non-relevant directives):

ServerRoot "/export/software/freebsd/httpd"

=== snip ===

<IfModule !mpm_winnt.c>
~        <IfModule !mpm_netware.c>
~                LockFile /var/run/httpd.accept.lock
~        </IfModule>
</IfModule>

<IfModule !mpm_netware.c>
~        PidFile /var/run/httpd.pid
</IfModule>

Timeout 300
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15

<IfModule prefork.c>
~        StartServers            15
~        MinSpareServers         10
~        MaxSpareServers         15
~        MaxClients              150
~        MaxRequestsPerChild     0
</IfModule>

Listen 0.0.0.0:80

LoadModule access_module modules/mod_access.so
LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so
LoadModule log_config_module modules/mod_log_config.so
LoadModule env_module modules/mod_env.so
LoadModule setenvif_module modules/mod_setenvif.so
<IfDefine SSL>
~        LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so
</IfDefine>
LoadModule mime_module modules/mod_mime.so
LoadModule status_module modules/mod_status.so
LoadModule cgi_module modules/mod_cgi.so
LoadModule negotiation_module modules/mod_negotiation.so
LoadModule dir_module modules/mod_dir.so
LoadModule alias_module modules/mod_alias.so
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
LoadModule include_module modules/mod_include.so
LoadModule php4_module  modules/libphp4.so

ExtendedStatus Off

<IfModule !mpm_winnt.c>
~        <IfModule !mpm_netware.c>
~                User www
~                Group www
~        </IfModule>
</IfModule>

UseCanonicalName Off

TypesConfig conf/mime.types
DefaultType text/plain

<IfModule mod_mime_magic.c>
~        MIMEMagicFile conf/magic
</IfModule>

HostnameLookups Off
EnableMMAP On
EnableSendfile On

ServerTokens Full
ServerSignature Off

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
~        ServerName mysite.org

~        DocumentRoot "/some/where"
</VirtualHost>

<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
~        Listen 443
~        AddType application/x-x509-ca-cert .crt
~        AddType application/x-pkcs7-crl .crl
~        SSLPassPhraseDialog  builtin

	# WARNING !!!!
	# THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS RESULT IN MACHINE LOCKUP
	# SSLMutex sem
	# SSLSessionCache shm:/some/file(1048576)
~ 	#

	# With these options everything is okay.
~        SSLMutex file:/var/run/httpd_ssl_mutex
~        SSLSessionCache dbm:/var/run/httpd_ssl_scache

~        SSLSessionCacheTimeout  300
~        SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
~        SSLRandomSeed connect builtin

~        SSLCipherSuite HIGH
~        SSLCertificateFile /etc/ssl/server.crt
~        SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/server.key

~        <Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php?)$">
~                SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
~        </Files>

~        SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

~        NameVirtualHost *:443

~        <VirtualHost *:443>
~                ServerName mysite.org