Question about rtld-elf. Anyone?.. Anyone?

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Thu May 1 17:23:17 PDT 2003

Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > >
> > > When it hangs, there's no windowing, so no mouse.
> >
> > I mean load a page which would ordinary cause it to hang, and
> > don't move the mose at all while you wait for it to load.  No
> > expose events means nothing else to run means effectively
> > single threaded.
>
> It doesn't *get* to the point of having *any* X-window open.
> In other words, I enter 'mozilla' at the prompt and see
> nothing at all.  After some of my local hacks, it loads
> 1/2 of the time and once it is loaded, it never hangs.

Here's a thought.  Have a look at the _umtx_lock() and _umtx_unlock()
syscalls that were recently added, and the corresponding scaffolding in
libthr.  Although this would likely break libc_r, it might be worth an
experiment to reimplement the ld-elf.so.1 spinlocks using that and see how
it goes. In the contested case, it would tsleep() the thread rather than
have it sit in a spinloop.  Hmm.  On second thoughts, this might not be
so easy since it needs a thread identifier.  But have a peek anyway and
see if there is anything to be had from there..

Cheers,
-Peter
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com