rtprio and kse

David Xu davidxu at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 30 15:12:23 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Eischen" <eischen at vigrid.com>
To: "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2 at mindspring.com>
Cc: <freebsd-threads at freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 4:03 AM
Subject: Re: rtprio and kse

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > >
> > > What is the expected result?  I expect the expected result
> > > to be exactly the way that libkse works.  If you were to
> > > do the same thing in Solaris (pthreads), it would behave
> > > just like libkse works: it affects the LWP, not the thread,
> > > so any threads running in the LWP would benefit from
> > > the priority change.
> >
> > I'd expect the creation of a seperate KSEG, so that only the thread
> > that made the request gets the priority boost.
>
> Obviously you're expectations are not correct :-)  Aside from
> breaking POSIX (a scope process thread being silently converted
> to a scope system thread), rtprio() is a system call and
> affects the kernel priority.

rtprio means he want to exclusively use CPU, not only between
threads in process but also between threads in system, I can
not image a guy is stilling using PTHREAD_SCOPE_PROCESS but not
PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM to define a competition scope in process
but not system wide, if he want to be rtprio in a process but
not system scope, I think he'd use pthread_setprio(), otherwise
setting thread to PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM is necessary.