Obsoleting libc_r: How to create compat links

Ruslan Ermilov ru at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 27 04:39:45 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 07:21:38AM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 11:05:50AM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > > Funny thing: reading your commit mail, and right after that
> > > receiving this message.  :-)

> > > First off, symlinking won't help old binaries that were linked
> > > dynamically with libc_r.so.X, but you're supposed to well know
> > > that already.  :-)
> >
> > Correct. I'm not worried about compatibility with previous releases
> > and the likes, because ia64 is still tier 2. I want "cc -pthread"
> > to work.
>
> -pthread is obsoleted in -current.  I'm surprised that it
> hasn't been nuked yet.  There hasn't been a need for it
> in well over 2 years.  Just use -lpthread (-lkse) or -lthr.

Oh, I thought that the intent was to be able to write -lc_r and
have the linker pick up another (modern) threaded library.  If
that is just to support -pthread, I also think that the latter
should just be nuked.  It is similarly news to me that -pthread
is still alive; I thought we killed it months ago.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru at sunbay.com		Sunbay Software Ltd,