Obsoleting libc_r: How to create compat links

Ruslan Ermilov ru at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 27 01:06:00 PDT 2003

Funny thing: reading your commit mail, and right after that
receiving this message.  :-)

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 12:56:07AM -0700, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> [Ruslan added for his insights]
>
> Ok,
>
> I decided to obsolete libc_r on ia64 so that I can de-pessimize the
> setjmp/longjmp code some time before 5.2 and have sufficient time to
> deal with problems due to not having libc_r.
>
> One thing we probably want to do is create compatibility links from
> libc_r* to libthr* or libkse*. At this time I libthr is tested on
> ia64, so I opt to have libc_r linked to libthr. What's the best way
> to do that, so that it can be used for other platforms in due time?

First off, symlinking won't help old binaries that were linked
dynamically with libc_r.so.X, but you're supposed to well know
that already.  :-)

So, the only useful option that is left is to symlink the static
and dymanic libraries (.a and .so, but not .so.X), and this can
be done in libc_r/Makefile using SYMLINKS (for MACHINE_ARCH of
ia64 only).

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,