more details (was: Re: libthr & jdk14: cv problems ?)

Alexey Zelkin phantom at FreeBSD.org.ua
Wed Jun 25 05:08:13 PDT 2003

hi,

More details on libthr issue:

First, there's no schema in lockups, i.e. while doing few clean rebuilds
of jdk14 tree I have expirienced lockups in random places.

Second, after I switched to debug version of java compiler (with lots of
additional asserts and checks) I have hit into assert "suspend thread
failed".  Unfortunatelly I was unable to find exact place where this
assert is trigerred because of 'third detail' (below).  Quick source
analyzis shown that most _probably_ this assert was trigerred because
of pthread_resume_np() or pthread_cond_wait() functions returned
non-successful value.

Third, it is not possible to run application in gdb while libthr is default
threading library.  gdb always fails with:

: Program received signal ?, Unknown signal.
: 0x2811ca64 in _ctx_start () from /usr/lib/libc.so.5
: (gdb) bt
: #0  0x2811ca64 in _ctx_start () from /usr/lib/libc.so.5
: #1  0x28077150 in _thread_start ()
:     at /home/phantom/src5/lib/libthr/thread/thr_create.c:213
: (gdb) bt full
: #0  0x2811ca64 in _ctx_start () from /usr/lib/libc.so.5
: No symbol table info available.
: #1  0x28077150 in _thread_start ()
:     at /home/phantom/src5/lib/libthr/thread/thr_create.c:213
:         next_uniqueid = 3
:         _thread_next_offset = 56
:         _thread_uniqueid_offset = 8
:         _thread_state_offset = 836