Removal of bogus gethostbyaddr_r()

Daniel Eischen eischen at vigrid.com
Wed Jun 18 19:18:13 PDT 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, David Xu wrote:
> From: "Daniel Eischen" <eischen at vigrid.com>
> > If that's true, then it's a bug and eventually should
> > be fixed.  Additionally, you can't go around removing
> > public interfaces without bumping library versions
> > (unless said interface hasn't seen a release yet).
> >

> I think those *_r interfaces are not very useful except
> bloating library. why do not improve non _r version to use
> thread local instead to make them reentrant between threads ?

The _r versions are expected and part of POSIX (in general,
I'll haven't checked to see if gethostbyaddr_r is part of
POSIX, but it does exist in Solaris).  So it's necessary
to have the _r versions, at least those specified by the
POSIX spec.  We just need to make sure we provide the correct
prototypes for them and ensure they are indeed thread-safe.