PTHREADED -> P_SA

David Xu davidxu at freebsd.org
Sat Jun 14 03:24:41 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcel Moolenaar" <marcel at xcllnt.net>
To: "David Xu" <davidxu at viatech.com.cn>
Cc: <threads at freebsd.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: PTHREADED -> P_SA

> On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 02:56:36PM +0800, David Xu wrote:
> >
> > > I will rename flag P_THREADED to P_SA in kernel, any objections ?
> > > here is the patch:
> > > http://people.freebsd.org/~davidxu/P_SA.diff
> > >
> > > It's only semantics..
> > > but it's been changes before.. is this the final name?
> >
> > Yes, I think it should be final.
>
> P_THREADED says more than P_SA for someone who's not intimate
> with the code. I for one don't know what SA stands for, but
> apparently it's some kind of threading model/implementation
> if I can believe the comments. In that case I don't know what's
> so wrong about P_THREADED.
>
> So, why is P_SA better than P_THREADED?

If you find there is 1:1 threading mode Jeff added in kernel,
I bet you will understand why I need to change it to P_SA.
why shouldn't 1:1 code be called as P_THREADED ? I think this
flags is confusing. P_SA tells you that the threading mode
a process is using is Scheduler Activation based --- Anderson's
theory.