Fwd: Re: Native JDK with libthr/libkse

Daniel Eischen eischen at pcnet.com
Thu Jun 5 11:24:13 PDT 2003

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 12:08:52PM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > I looked at the patches for jdk14 and they include the patches for
> > jdk13.  The patchset does include pthread_private.h ahd does
> > examine internal thread state as well as access registers
> > directly from the thread structure.  This is not portable across
> > thread libraries.
>
> I'd suggest to take a look again.  All required internal information
> is now exported to JVM via pthread_attr_get_np().  Since first days
> of February of this year.  Since both libthr and libpthread support
> it -- I don't see any principal reason for jdk14 to not to work with
> other thread libs.  Absence of deep testing is another issue.

OK, I took another look.  I guess I had mistakenly looked at the
jdk13 patches instead of the jdk14 patches.

I did notice one thing:

+ * BSDNOTE: It's support for fd locking on per thread basis.  Since
+ * FreeBSD libc_r does implement it internally - do nothing here.

libc_r does not do fd locking in either -current or -stable.
The macros are present, but are disabled by default.  You'll
need to roll your own.  Plus, libkse and libthr won't be doing
this either.