And problems regarding -lthr (1:1 KSE)

Daniel Eischen eischen at vigrid.com
Thu Jul 31 23:56:48 PDT 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Julian Elischer wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Mike Makonnen wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:17:08PM +0900, TeJun Huh wrote:
> > >  I forgot to mention about -lthr (1:1 KSE threading) related problems.
> > >
> > >  1. If the program is compiled with '-static -lthr', the program
> > > crashes at the first thread creation.  Stack trace follows.
> >
> > Are you using 5.1-RELEASE or -CURRENT ? I think this has already
> > been fixed in -CURRENT.
> >
> > >  2. Without -static, the program works fine, but pthread_create()
> > > fails with EAGAIN at thread count 110.  B.T.W. pthread_create() return
> > > value handling was wrong in the example program.  It always confuses
> > > me. :-( How can I increase this limit?  Again, I'm looking for
> > > something like ten thousands.

You can create thousands with libkse.  You'll really
only be limited by memory -- unless you create a lot
of threads as PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM, in which case you'll
likely have similar limitations as libthr.  As julian
said, libkse can be compiled to be in 1:1 mode, so if
you build it that way (the default is M:N, not 1:1),
you'll also be limited.