postgresql-devel "psql" and -current

Wesley Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Wed Jul 30 16:34:05 PDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Sean Chittenden wrote:

> Whoa, hrm, yeah... I ran into it last night while writing the
> jail_read_only_transactions patch...  and this looks like it's out of
> my area of expertise.  How recent is your -CURRENT?  This looks like a
> libc/libc_r's problem.  Let me CC: -threads to see if they have any
> hints or ideas.
>
> Using the most recent snapshot of PostgreSQL, the psql(1) client is
> crashing when the pager terminates and psql(1) resumes control of the
> terminal.  What's really obnoxious, is when I compile in debugging
> symbols, I can't get it to core, but I can get it to sit infinitely in
> poll(2).

My -current is very recent, July 22. This problem has existed for quite a
while though. I have also seen randomish "corruption" of output from psql
that I assumed was just a flaky development problem. I try to use KSE for
threads, but there appear to be some problems with it. I can't get apache
2 to run with PHP that uses anything other than libc_r (libthr and libkse
crash).

I also have a strange problem with an app that runs on a serial interface.
If I link in libpq static (along with all the other dependencies) it
works fine, but without the static link somehow something gets clobbered
and it won't work properly, however I have not devoted much time to
debugging this as the interface library is still in the developmental
stages.