Good news: KSE on ia64 is starting to work

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Tue Aug 5 14:53:09 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 05:12:18PM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > > it with whatever is needed.  I assume this (static TLS) will
> > > have some predetermined size...
> >
> > It's a runtime constant yes. We'll know the size of the static TLS
> > when we initialize libkse/libpthread and TLS support has been added.
>
> Do we need an additional parameter to _tcb_ctor() to specify
> the static TLS size?

It's a global contant. We don't have to pass it around. I expect
that for dynamicly linked programs the dynamic linker will provide
it. So, I think _tcb_ctor can just grab it directly or indirectly
using a well-known function.

> > BTW: Feel free to commit your patch at your earliest convenience
> > (with or without the change described above). I see a slight
> > regression after applying the patch, but much rather see it
> > committed than having to work with a large patch...
>
> Hmm, ok.

The regression is caused by _tcb_set(). The tcb argument can be
NULL, but we derefernce it unconditionally. See also my reply to
Julian...

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net