Good news: KSE on ia64 is starting to work

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Tue Aug 5 09:58:20 PDT 2003

Ok,

I have a couple of changes and fixes in my tree that makes KSE on
ia64 work. I have a couple of questions before I can commit it:

The current implementation defines the thread pointer to be per-KSE,
like on i386. This is not how ia64 is supposed to work, so I have
some hacks to cpu_set_upcall_kse() to preserve TP and a hack in
_ia64_restore_context() to not restore TP (I still save TP in the
context for now).

Am I right that this is currently the only way libkse can work and
that I have to wait until the patches that are floating around get
committed?

When libkse (then libpthread) does support a per-thread pointer.
Does it expect the thread-pointer to set/switched by getcontext()
setcontext() or will it assume that the thread-pointer is not
itself part of the context?

Thanks,

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net