Question about rtld-elf. Anyone?.. Anyone?

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 30 19:47:07 PDT 2003

Daniel Eischen wrote:
> And in answer to your other question.  If I hack the threads
> library to always resume a thread that has an expired quantum,
> mozilla seems to work just fine -- I can't get it to fail.

Thanks.

I now claim authoritatively that according to POSIX, this is
a coding error in Mozilla.

I also claim that "fixing" dlopen is insufficient, and that
the error will pop up in some other interface, such as mmap()
or shmat(), etc., which will have exactly the same issues.

For bonus points, it should be possible to save the preempted
thread's ID, and, when an involuntary switch would have occurred,
print out the program counter of the thread that gets preempted
without this patch, but doesn't get preempted with it.

That will tell you exactly what code is failing, every time. I
submit the theory that it's not going to be dl*() every time.

-- Terry