Question about rtld-elf. Anyone?.. Anyone?

Daniel Eischen eischen at pcnet1.pcnet.com
Wed Apr 30 17:33:44 PDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > As an experiment, I made the dlfoo calls in rtld-elf weak
> > (__dlfoo -> dlfoo) and then overrode them in libpthread
> > and protected them with mutexes.
> >
> > I can get mozilla to work about 1/2 of the time now, but
> > it still gets stuck in the same state the other 1/2 of
> > the time.  This is a bit of an improvement, and seems to
> > indicate (at least to me) that rtld-elf is the culprit.
>

> Is there maybe a way to get the thread that was running when
> the process was involuntarily preempted run first, instead of
> running it based on priority?  Netscape, at least, made this
> assumption for Java and Javascript pages.

Yes, but that breaks other things.  The threads library does
scheduling based on POSIX scheduling semantics.  We don't
have support for scheduling similar to what you find in
the kernel.  This is probably why libthr doesn't have a
problem with mozilla.

> Alternately, you may try disabling Java* in Mozilla, and see
> if that keeps you from crashing.
>
> Also try not moving the mouse until everything is loaded, and
> see if that saves you, too.

When it hangs, there's no windowing, so no mouse.