SMPing libpthread

Daniel Eischen eischen at pcnet1.pcnet.com
Fri Apr 25 21:52:23 PDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, David Xu wrote:

> I have put a patch to enable userland support SMP scheduling.
> http://people.freebsd.org/~davidxu/libpthread_smp.diff
> The patch works on my SMP machine, but not fully tested,
> and I will work on idle kses stuffs. At least, it seems
> the SMP speed is not slower than UP. :-)

David, I noticed that we hold the scheduling lock before and
after calling the scheduler.  Is this necessary?  And if so,
is it necessary to hold hold it after return from the
scheduling switch?  One you're in the scheduler, and choose
another thread (releasing the lock after doing so), shouldn't
you be able to switch to it without having the lock?