svn commit: r288906 - head/bin/ls/tests

NGie Cooper yaneurabeya at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 18:18:06 UTC 2015

> On Oct 6, 2015, at 07:45, Eric van Gyzen <vangyzen at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> On 10/05/2015 19:55, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> Author: ngie
>> Date: Tue Oct  6 00:55:31 2015
>> New Revision: 288906
>>
>> Log:
>>  Explicitly set BLOCKSIZE to 512 in the environment
>
> I know practically nothing about atf or our usage of it, but in principle, it seems that the framework should scrub the whole environment before running any tests, always.

Agreed. I discovered after some digging that this variable is set by the shell with login.conf, which affects getbsize, which in turn affects some utilities like /bin/ls. It seems that I missed it when I was testing in my environment, probable because I use bash (my guess is the Jenkins test runner uses either csh or sh) :/…

/bin/sh (and POSIX shells for that matter) do some interesting things in subshells. See $SHELL as an example (I don’t have links right offhand to prove it, but it made my life interesting before in the near-ish past).
Thanks!