Failed to build rescue with gcc 4.9

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 28 22:53:54 UTC 2015

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at freebsd.org>
wrote:

> I double checked.  cat.lo is not a truncated file.
> # ls -l cat.lo ; file cat.lo
> -rw-r--r--  1 jenkins  wheel  13112 Mar 28 21:17 cat.lo
> cat.lo: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), stripped

Hmm, so file reports that it is an ELF file, but readelf barfs on the file.

I have the file here for anyone who wants to look at it:

http://people.freebsd.org/~rodrigc/cat.lo

# file cat.lo ; readelf -a cat.lo
cat.lo: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), stripped
readelf: Error: Unable to read in 0x40 bytes of section headers
ELF Header:
  Magic:   7f 45 4c 46 02 01 01 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
  Class:                             ELF64
  Data:                              2's complement, little endian
  Version:                           1 (current)
  OS/ABI:                            UNIX - FreeBSD
  ABI Version:                       0
  Type:                              REL (Relocatable file)
  Machine:                           Advanced Micro Devices X86-64
  Version:                           0x1
  Entry point address:               0x0
  Start of program headers:          0 (bytes into file)
  Start of section headers:          51092930964640 (bytes into file)
  Flags:                             0x0
  Size of this header:               64 (bytes)
  Size of program headers:           0 (bytes)
  Number of program headers:         0
  Size of section headers:           64 (bytes)
  Number of section headers:         19
  Section header string table index: 16
readelf: Error: Unable to read in 0x4c0 bytes of section headers
readelf: Error: Section headers are not available!
Abort trap (core dumped)

--
Craig