Automatically running /usr/tests on stable/10 branch under Jenkins

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 23 22:30:14 UTC 2014

Garrett Cooper wrote:

> Hi Craig!
>         As much as everyone would like to take i386 out to pasture,
> there's a large degree of value in running i386 tests on 11-CURRENT and
> 10-STABLE (I've caught some interesting build bugs and test bugs by running
> on my i386/CURRENT VM). Are there any plans to have i386 executors running
> tests anytime soon (does bhyve support i386?)?

We (jenkins-admin at freebsd.org) have been busy the 5 months since BSDCan
2014 as
you can see by our status report, which lists what we have done, and what
our future plans are:

https://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2014-07-2014-09.html#Jenkins-Continuous-Integration-for-FreeBSD

Integrating Jenkins with Kyua on amd64 was a major milestone which was
achieved, and
was even mentioned on the Jenkins web site:

http://jenkins-ci.org/content/freebsd-project-use-jenkins-os-testing

Now, where to take this further (such as i386) is an interesting question.

Personally, I would like to see:
   -> integration of automated kyua testing with the FreeBSD release
engineering process
   -> more involvement from FreeBSD developers, and even companies such as
EMC/Isilon,
       who can:
           -> write tests
           -> suggest and implement new tests (network, storage, VM, etc.)
           -> help with devops maintenance of the existing
jenkins.freebsd.org cluster
           -> improve bhyve support in libvirt
           -> set up their own Jenkins build environments outside of
FreeBSD, and help test things in their own private environments

I've had requests for;
   -> running tests in bhyve VM's with very small memory footprints
(Adrian Chadd)
   -> running tests in MIPS environment (Adrian Chadd)
   -> running Java JDK tests (Kip Macy)
   -> i386 builds (Garrett Cooper)

There are a lot of different directions to take this, but without more
people (and companies) pitching in and helping out,
progress is limited by bodies working on the stuff.

I will be at the MeetBSD Vendor summit (not the conference) Nov. 3-4, so
hopefully
anyone interested in pushing this stuff forward can talk to me there.

--
Craig