Testing a VIMAGE enabled kernel in the FreeBSD cluster

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Thu Nov 20 08:49:21 UTC 2014

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:27:46 AM Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I submitted this RFC to enable VIMAGE in the GENERIC kernel config
> on January 5, 2015:
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2014-November/016282.html
>
> I'm not receiving any major opposition from the idea.
>
> It's a tight schedule, but what is the possibility that we could upgrade
> one of the PF firewalls with a VIMAGE kernel sometime in the next 6 weeks,
> and test this out.  I would be interested in testing the following,
> *not* in a vnet jail, on bare metail:
>
>  (1)  the PF ruleset in the FreeBSD cluster
>  (2)  IPv6
>  (3)  any other heavy duty network-y stuff that the FreeBSD cluster uses,
>        which may not have been heavily tested by developers.

We have another problem to solve first.  IPv6 doesn't work on the firewalls
sometime after Oct 3rd and they were rolled back after the refresh failed
spectacularly.

Just to be clear though, you're asking for 'options VIMAGE' with no other
changes, right?

--
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
UTF-8: for when a ' or ... just won\342\200\231t do\342\200\246