Structure of ATF testcases (was "Test scenario for sysctl kern.maxfiles")

Julio Merino jmmv at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 13 02:10:17 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 5:02 AM, Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Julio Merino <jmmv at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Seems like another standalone tool should be developed to cleanup
>>> variables after exit per test and per test suite.
>>
>> Which variables?
>
> sysctls in this case. Isilon would probably love this and other folks
> would too no doubt.

Writing such support shouldn't be too hard.

I can imagine a sysctl(8) wrapper stored in the test's work directory,
put in the PATH, so that it captured all variables written to from the
test.  All this could be set up by a "sysctl-test setup" script or
similar. This script would record the old values in a separate file
within the work directory.  Later, in the cleanup phase, you'd invoke
a "sysctl-test cleanup" script that read the list of overridden
variables and restored their previous values.

We can easily do this as a FreeBSD-specific thingy for now and put it
in the source tree. I think it'd be a good way to test the idea this
way. We could generalize it into ATF later on, but adding hooks for
sysctl is nasty for portability reasons...