ATF work

Garrett Cooper yaneurabeya at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 18:47:09 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Alan Somers <asomers at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 2:53 AM, Peter Holm <peter at holm.cc> wrote:
>>> I have uploaded a snapshot of the ATF work done for EMC Isilon,
>>> based primarily on Garrett Cooper's work.
>>>
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~pho/FreeBSD-HEAD-ATF-Isilon-20140401.diff.xz
>>> +
>>> chmod +x /usr/src/lib/libc/tests/net/gen_ether_subr
>>
>> Holy patch queue, Batman!  There's fifty thousand lines of code in here!
>

> When a patch is that big, it becomes very difficult to review.
>
> You might want to consider forking a copy on github of the
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd repository and maintaining the patch there
> until it is MFC'd:
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo
> https://help.github.com/articles/syncing-a-fork
>
> It's not perfect but some of the web interface tools around the github
> ecosystem make reviewing patches (and contributing updates) a bit easier.

I was going to move master aside and make all of the ATF work into its
own separate branch again as my fork's master still contains little
tidbits of other fixes and hacks that I made to make things work on my
system(s). When I originally did this on my fork I was dealing with a
lot more branches (nowadays I mostly maintain my fork instead of
develop/port new code).

It might be easiest to move forward if pho forks my repo once it's
been cleaned up, and the Isilon patches to my code get integrated into
my fork as a GitHub pull request. I'll start working on that today and
will talk with pho@ offline about getting things all herded together
properly.

Thanks!
-Garrett