ATF work

Garrett Cooper yaneurabeya at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 18:07:05 UTC 2014

(Just to fill in some context on some of the items here)

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Alan Somers <asomers at freebsd.org> wrote:

> All of the files from NetBSD should have a $FreeBSD:$ tag alongside
> the NetBSD tag.

Yes, I should have added those.

> lib/libc/tests/net/getaddrinfo/Makefile has some commented out code
> that should be removed.

Most likely code that didn't compile in my workspace.

> So does lib/libc/tests/net/getaddrinfo/t_getaddrinfo.sh.

Not sure, but it might have been code that was broken due to
discrepancies between FreeBSD and NetBSD

> Could lib/libc/tests/net/gen_ether_subr be converted to an awk script
> by replacing the first line with "#!/usr/bin/awk -f" and removing the
> invocation to awk?  Then it would have the correct syntax highlighting
> in editors.

I try to avoid that without pushing the change up to NetBSD first as I
tried to make as minimal changes as possible to make things work with
FreeBSD without things blowing up.

> lib/libc/tests/net/Makefile has one tested comment out with the
> comment "test uses rump".  Would it be possible instead to leave the
> test in the build, but put "require.progs rump_server" in the relevant
> test cases' heads?

Probably carryover from NetBSD that should be pushed back to NetBSD.

> It would be more idiomatic for lib/libc/tests/tls_dso/Makefile to
> define a TESTSDIR variable and use that in the definitions of LIBDIR
> and SHLIBDIR.

Good catch; this should potentially be pushed back to NetBSD.

> lib/libc/tests/gen/Makefile has several tests commented out.  Several
> of the comments are confusingly short (what does "XXX: F_MAXFD DNE"
> mean)?  And the "#ATF_TESTS+=   posix_spawn" line should be deleted.

DNE -> does not exist, e.g. it's a parameter/functionality that exists
on NetBSD and doesn't exist on FreeBSD.

(philosophical item) I'm not sure about the commented out lines for
posix_spawn as this (again) is a mostly carryover from NetBSD. Whether
or not it should persist with a better "descriptor" or should be
deleted is a good idea.

> lib/libc/tests/gen/posix_spawn/Makefile contains commented out code.

Probably incompatibilities between FreeBSD and NetBSD.

> lib/libc/tests/arch contains subdirectories that FreeBSD doesn't
> support and never will, like Vax.  They should be deleted.

Good point. Agreed.

> It's unfortunate that all of t_sha2 is disabled.  I don't understand
> the comment, either.  Is it disabled just because FreeBSD doesn't have
> sha384 functions?  We have both sha1 and sha256 in libc.

sha384 doesn't exist in FreeBSD; either the code should be adjusted
and the adjustment should be contributed back to NetBSD, or leave it
as-is.

> lib/libc/tests/termios/Makefile has WARNS=4 commented out.  Why is that?
>
> Some Makefiles define "MAN= ".  It is more idiomatic to define "NOMAN=".

Thanks!
-Garrett