Getting rid of the ATF tools

Julio Merino julio at meroh.net
Wed Oct 9 02:39:26 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

[ Reviving this old thread, so abusing top-posting... ]

FreeBSD 10 is around the corner. If nothing changes, this will be the
first release with ATF built-in, which is great but... I'd still
strongly recommend not to bundle the atf-run / atf-report tools in the
tree and instead just keep them in ports (for now).

Keeping the tools in the tree will set precedent as to a) how the
tools behave and b) the fact that they are part of the base system.
Both of these will make the transition to Kyua later on more complex
for no reason: you know that transitions are always hard when users
out there get used to something! If not, check out how the transition
plan for NetBSD looked like ( http://wiki.netbsd.org/kyua/import/ );
not pretty.

I think there is still time to undo the addition of the tools before
the release is cut. And, for this reason, I'm attaching two related
and updated patches. (Should I be filing a PR instead, or sending this
to freebsd-testing?)

Who can make the call about this?

Thanks!

--