RFC: Patches to achieve bsdinstall script without dialogs

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Sat Jun 13 03:28:21 UTC 2015

On 05/15/15 10:01, Ellis H. Wilson III wrote:
> On 03/24/2015 10:35 AM, Allan Jude wrote:
>> These changes look ok to me.
>>
>> 2 main things: These would need to be based on HEAD not 10.1 in order to
>> be committed
>
> Nathan, Allan, et. al.:
>
> Please see attached for a new set of patches based off of HEAD. Sorry
> this took some time for me to get back to.  Notes follow:
>
> The following experienced no real changes between 10.1 (which my last
> patches were based on) and HEAD, and therefore can be deemed
> completely safe:
>
>  usr.sbin/bsdconfig/share/common.subr
>  usr.sbin/bsdinstall/scripts/checksum
>  usr.sbin/bsdinstall/scripts/script
>
> The following experienced changes, but the existing patch went through
> without any problems.  I visually inspected it afterwards and it
> looked perfectly fine:
>
>  usr.sbin/bsdinstall/partedit/scripted.c
>
> The following experienced minor changes such that the patch failed,
> but only needed minor modifications to achieve the same intent:
>
>  usr.sbin/bsdinstall/partedit/partedit.h
>  usr.sbin/bsdinstall/partedit/partedit.c
>
> The following was significantly changed from the 10.1 version. Since
> the new version used dpv, which makes ASCII output difficult, the
> cleanest solution I could identify was to forward port some of the old
> logic.  There may be a better way to do this, but this is my attempt.
> I defer to the original author's best judgement.
>
>  usr.sbin/bsdinstall/distextract/distextract.c
>
> All of our machines are running 10.1 or older, so I wasn't able to
> compile and test the changes above since they lack dpv.  I therefore
> fired up a VM and made sure they at least compile. Particularly in the
> last case (distextract), the patch should be tested before being
> committed.  I apologize I don't have the resources to do this myself
> currently.

Thanks for this! This is a great feature and I'll take care of
shepherding it into the tree. A few comments:
1. Could you change the variable for turning this on to something other
than BSDINSTALL_SCRIPTED? There are cases where you might want a
scripted install, but also dialogs. I'm thinking in particular of PXE
installing a bunch of identical machines with humans sitting in front of
them. There are a couple of similar issues in the partition editor,
where "scripted" is assumed to mean "no dialogs ever".
2. Some of the C code has whitespace issues. See the extract_files() vs.
extract_files_scripted() prototypes. Could you fix these?
3. The libdpv business you mention is unfortunate, though I don't see a
better way. Devin, do you have any comments about this? Is libdpv
necessary in all of these cases? Is there a better way to do it?
4. If you are familiar with man pages, it would be great if you could
add some description of this to the bsdinstall man page. If you aren't,
I can take care of it.
5. Could you send me both your 10-STABLE patches and -HEAD patches? It
would help me with merging this into 10 for the 10.2 release to have both.

Thanks again, and apologies your patches sat on the mailing list for so
long.
-Nathan