Dangerously dedicated mode with FreeBSD 10.1

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Nov 22 00:03:45 UTC 2014

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:

>> This might be an "Advanced Format" thing, where the drive uses 4K sectors
>> but reports that it uses 512-byte sectors.  The forum thread shows that it
>> does not align to 4K on SSDs.  My SSDs also report 4K stripesize but only
>> 512 byte sectoresize.
>>

> Sure, but the installer aligns to the reported "stripe size". For AF disks
> like your SSD, the kernel reports the right thing in the stripe size.
>
> Where in the forum thread does it show an issue? The only thing I see is some
> gpart output from a 10K spinning SAS disk, which almost certainly has
> 512-byte physical sectors.

Hmm, I thought that was still about an SSD.  I sent a followup asking
for the block size of the drive.

I set out to test this on a machine with an SSD, but can't get an
install image to work from my PXE setup (it can't find the install disk
label), and have no easily-accessible DVD drives or empty memory sticks
right now.  It seems like it should be easier than this.

Anyway, for now let's say it works.