Dangerously dedicated mode with FreeBSD 10.1

Rostislav Krasny rosti.bsd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 13:36:02 UTC 2014

Hi,

I've a server with FreeBSD 7.4-STABLE that uses two phisical disks in
a so called "dangerously dedicated mode". There is no other operating
system and no plan to install anything else but FreeBSD. So in my case
this is not dangerous mode at all.

I want to upgrade it by installing FreeBSD 10.1 from scratch and I
want to use the dedicated disk mode again. How could I do that?

If I understand it right the new bsdinstall(8) doesn't support the
dedicated disk mode, the old sysinstall(8) is already dead and the
only solution is a manual disk partitioning from shell. The 2.6.5.
Shell Mode Partitioning section of the Handbook is very terse about
that.