Suggested option for the DVD Installer

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Thu Nov 20 16:08:32 UTC 2014

Such an option exists already: in the installer partition editor, choose
the disk you are installing on, press "Modify", choose MBR (or GPT or a
disklabel, or whatever you want), then partition as you like or press
"Auto". If this isn't in the handbook, it should be.

What motherboard/BIOS is this, by the way? I'm trying to make a list of
systems with problems. Machines that can't boot from GPT are usually EFI
systems (which should work with the EFI media) and fail to boot because
they think GPT means EFI. Older pure-BIOS systems shouldn't have
problems -- you can boot 386s off of GPT without issue. There are a
couple of exceptions (some Compaq BIOSes, if I remember right), but it
would be nice to know what they are.
-Nathan