bsdinstall ZFS and MBR not working

dteske at FreeBSD.org dteske at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 24 14:59:45 UTC 2014

Not using pending mode there (iirc).

Strange that you have to rewrite the partition table and even stranger
that a BIOS update fixes the problem. Sounds like the BIOS isn't flushing
the writes to disk.

On one hand, I'd love to solve this in-code, but... if you say that a later
version of the BIOS is reported to fix GPT booting, maybe the solution
is to instead warn people with that hardware to update their BIOS if
they run into MBR working but GPT not.

I like the idea of appending something to device.hints also if that will
work (saving people the hassle of upgrading BIOS). That seems cleaner
than writing the partition table, laying down ZFS, then doing a backup
followed by restore (in hopes that it will then write a partition table
that survives a reboot).
--
Devin