strange bsdinstall situation

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 28 20:50:03 UTC 2013

On 06/28/13 12:21, Kenta Suzumoto wrote:
> Hello. I'm going to be getting an 8.2 remote system soon. I'll be upgrading it immediately to 9-STABLE and had a question about bsdinstall. This hosting provider gives me a "rescue system" which is basically an NFS/memory-mounted "virtual" system so I can manipulate the disks on the real hardware and do a custom installation. Unfortunately, their rescue system is also 8.2. I've emailed them about getting everything updated, but in the meantime.. I wanted to know if I could fetch just the "bsdinstall" binary from another system to this virtual rescue system and install using that. Are there any other dependencies I'd need? Would it work or no? This is kind of a hackish solution until the provider updates everything to something recent and supported. I'd like to do the installation without going back to the painful sysinstall days.

It actually depends rather strongly on the new dialog(1) version in 9 as
well as some kernel changes in gpart. So I don't think you will have any
luck. What you *can* do is just untar the distfiles onto your new disk
if you wipe it first. bsdinstall doesn't do anything much fancier than
that...
-Nathan