Bug in bsdinstall (fs found where not present)

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 05:39:15 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Nathan Whitehorn
<nwhitehorn at freebsd.org>wrote:

> On 08/29/13 17:02, Warren Block wrote:

> >> bsdinstall has no way to detect whether or not you already have UFS in a
> >> freebsd-ufs file system. It assumes, when not given contrary
> >> information, that a partition that exists is initialized. There does not
> >> seem to be a way around this. If you have any ideas, those would of
> >> course be helpful.
> >
> > file(1) works well for detecting filesystems.
> >
> > For that matter, what is bsdinstall doing now that makes it say there
> > is a filesystem on a partition?  Maybe the message is misleading.
>
> What that actually means is that the partition exists. (file doesn't
> work on block devices, by the way) I'm happy to change the error
> message. The default behavior is that, like partitioners on all other
> operating systems, it treats creating partitions and running newfs as
> intimately linked activities -- similarly, that the type marked in the
> partition table is the actual filesystem type. Intermediate cases are
> very hard to detect reliably.
> -Nathan

I am installing many different operating systems .

One of the important problems is when

"Use entire disk"

is selected , some of the installers are still searching valid partitions
on disk
and failing miserably because there does not exist any one ( because unit
is new or corrupted ) or there are some partitions , etc. remained from
another different operating system .

My opinion is that the first question should be to select an option among

"Use entire disk" or
"Use existing file systems" .

alternatives , only search valid file system(s) when "Use existing file
systems" is
selected .

When "Use entire disk" is selected , directly apply file systems creations
by just
after determining the geometry of the unit under consideration .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk