Removing upgrade

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 8 21:55:35 UTC 2010

On Jul 7, 2010, at 12:22 PM, Randi Harper wrote:

> The way sysinstall handles upgrade is really messy - we have a list of
> files that we don't update, and everything else just gets overwritten.
> There's bugs in this process (I believe we lose named.conf, among
> other thing), and I'm all for pushing users to learn the correct way
> to do things, such as freebsd-update. From what I've been reading on
> twitter/mailing lists/blog posts, it's mostly new users that are
> upgrading through sysinstall. We should update the documentation to
> reflect the single easy upgrade path being through freebsd-update
> along with detailed instructions on how to do so, if they don't
> already exist.
>
> Proposing this patch:
>
> http://deviant.freebsdgirl.com/~randi/sysinstall_no_upgrade.diff
>
> Speak up now against it or forever hold your peace. If this gets
> committed, there may be some pushback from the community.

I think removing the upgrade option from sysinstall is a good idea.

After looking at the patch, the fact that this thing overwrites files like
rc.conf.local, nsswitch.conf and syslog.conf makes me think doing
an upgrade through sysinstall would lead to more pain and unintended
consequences then one might expect.

I'll be on your side if there is any push back :)

--
Steven Kreuzer
http://www.exit2shell.com/~skreuzer