Marking select(2) as restrict

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Sun Feb 25 01:00:03 UTC 2018

On 24 February 2018 at 10:55, Conrad Meyer <cem at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 10:35 AM, Eitan Adler <lists at eitanadler.com> wrote:
>> After this entire thread here is the summary. If I've misrepresented
>> you here please let me know.
>>
>> kib@ - no benefit; concerned fallout could be hard to observe
>> cem@ - concerned about warnings
>
> Consider me a +1 to kib at .  I did not voice those concerns explicitly
> in earlier email because kib did already and I didn't anticipate you
> would ignore him.

I am not ignoring him. As I stated above I do not believe fallout is
likely since most other major libc implementations have already done
this:

glibc: already done -
https://github.com/bminor/glibc/blob/master/misc/sys/select.h#L101
openbsd: already done
https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/sys/sys/select.h#L128
dragonflyBSD: alredy done:
https://github.com/dragonflybsd/dragonflybsd/blob/master/sys/sys/select.h#L50
netbsd: already done:
https://github.com/NetBSD/src/blob/trunk/sys/sys/select.h#L69

As a further check I went through the search results on github for
select() and did not see any failures in the top few pages.

--
Eitan Adler