standards/187378: stdlib.h doesn't define W* macros (e.g. WEXITSTATUS)

Roman Bogorodskiy novel at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 11 17:00:01 UTC 2014

The following reply was made to PR standards/187378; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Roman Bogorodskiy <novel at FreeBSD.org>
To: Peter Pentchev <roam at ringlet.net>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org, wollman at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: standards/187378: stdlib.h doesn't define W* macros (e.g.
 WEXITSTATUS)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 20:52:34 +0400

 --DKU6Jbt7q3WqK7+M

   Peter Pentchev wrote:

 > > stdlib.h should define W* macros like WEXITSTATUS etc. However, it does=
 n't.
 >=20
 > FWIW, this is even documented in FreeBSD's stdlib.h :)
 >=20
 > /* XXX XSI requires pollution from <sys/wait.h> here.  We'd rather not. */
 >=20
 > Yes, I know this doesn't help you much; I'm just trying to point out
 > that, well, this is not an accidental omission, but a deliberate design
 > decision.  For the reasons for it you'll have to ask the people who did
 > it - this particular text seems to have been added by Garrett Wollman
 > back in 2002, but I think that he was just documenting the status quo
 > rather than making a decision right there and then.

 Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't notice that comment. Anyway, I
 found the commit that introduces this comment:

 http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/include/stdlib.h?annotate=3D103728

 Unfortunately, commit message doesn't provide reasoning about that.

 I've CCed wollman at .

 Roman Bogorodskiy

 --DKU6Jbt7q3WqK7+M

 --DKU6Jbt7q3WqK7+M--