Does posix say anything about the sign in NaNs ?

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Thu Dec 25 00:49:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 02:16:37PM -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hello;
>
> I got the attached patch from OpenBSD.
>
> It says:
> ____
> Show the sign for NaN as per POSIX; from Elliott Hughes.
> ok martynas@, millert@, doug@
> ____
>
> I can't find a reference in POSIX documentation to support it though.

The message to OpenBSD's tech@ list that suggested this was
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=141876375108892&w=2

The text from POSIX that it quotes may be found e.g. at
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/fprintf.html
(search for "A double argument representing an infinity")

> Anyone has a reason why we shouldn't adopt it, or a reference I can quote
> on the commit log?

Hope the above helps!

> ps. Merry Christmas to everyone !!

Same to you! :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam at ringlet.net roam at FreeBSD.org p.penchev at storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13