c99 project

David Schultz das at FreeBSD.ORG
Sat Dec 21 20:23:50 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 08, 2013, Eitan Adler wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 5:35 AM, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On 2013-02-04 21:48, Eitan Adler <lists at eitanadler.com> wrote:
> >> Is the following page still useful?
> >> Would there be any objection to me removing it?
> >>
> >> http://www.freebsd.org/projects/c99/index.html
> >
> > I think this is useful until we have full C99 support in at least one
> > compiler toolchain.  To the best of my knowledge this is not entirely
> > true for either GCC or LLVM.
> >
> > So we should keep the page alive, until the project is done or canceled.
>
> Reviving an old thread here:
>
> The C99 compliance page was last updated in 2011 and it currently
> shows a large amount of outdated information.
>
> I see this page being used in many discussion forums, on IRC, etc. to
> show FreeBSD in a negative light. We need to either (A) move this to
> the wiki (b) update it on a routine basis or (c) delete it.
>
> Can I please have a volunteer go through the page and tell me what to
> change?  I am more than happy to act as the 'doc proxy' but someone
> needs to commit to monitoring changes.

I chipped in a bit to maintain it after mike@ stepped down, but I
haven't had time lately.  It needs to be updated for C11, and the
project is bigger than just writing down the state of the world.
You need to figure out the requirements, carry out discussions,
and work with people to get things done.

If someone wants to take it over, I support that.  Otherwise, it's
probably safe to delete.  At this point, the existing content
doesn't have much value: someone needs to review the whole thing
to figure out what is still missing.